Monday, May 22, 2006

BUSH the Great speaker

Having watching a dry British Speaker knock the socks off his audience I thought about what the British expect of their speakers. Warning: This will be a long Post So on a whim I decided to find out the difference between a good speaker vs a poor speaker. I decided to compare William Jefferson Clinton(Bubba) to George Walker Bush(Dubya). Unfair you might claim but I could have compared Dubya to FDR or say Lincoln now that would be unfair. To show this difference I am going to look at two state of the unions.
Example 1 Bubba

You know, when the framers finished crafting our Constitution in Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin stood in Independence Hall and he reflected on the carving of the sun that was on the back of a chair he saw. The sun was low on the horizon. So he said this -- he said, "I've often wondered whether that sun was rising or setting. Today," Franklin said, "I have the happiness to know it's a rising sun." Today, because each succeeding generation of Americans has kept the fire of freedom burning brightly, lighting those frontiers of possibility, we all still bask in the glow and the warmth of Mr. Franklin's rising sun.

After 224 years, the American revolution continues. We remain a new nation. And as long as our dreams outweigh our memories, America will be forever young. That is our destiny. And this is our moment.

Now this is a example of fine speaking. He has flowing brilliant sentences. You can claim speach writters but Dubya could not pull the above off.

Example 2 Dubya
All told, more than 3,000 suspected terrorists have been arrested in many countries. Many others have met a different fate. Let's put it this way -- they are no longer a problem to the United States and our friends and allies. (Applause.)

Okay I know this is a shorter bit but it is clear who is the better speaker. And lets focus on another issue. Why the hell is the President of the United States gloating on national television that we just whacked some terrorists. Cause lets face it thats what we did. When september 11 took place I had no doubt that the United States would begin to covertly assassinate terrorist leaders. I had no problem with this. I assumed that these leaders would just sort of dissapear. But here is the President of the United States with that little smirk of his annoucing this. And he gets applauses for this. Dubya likes these quick hard hitting statements that he can state and smirk and get applauses.

Which brings me to my penultimate point. we as Americans are a rude crass people. Just look at the whole immigration debate. We like to be blunt and hear our politicians say things that are uneducated and unpopular. I think England is looking pretty good again.

No comments: