Monday, April 25, 2005

Man do I feel dirty.

So I just went to see Fever Pitch. I found the movie to be quite funny. I enjoyed it but at the back of mind I felt like I was betraying the Yanks. There are a number of reasons why I felt this way.
1 I had a hard time rewatching the dreaded comeback. How could I enjoy a movie that celebrates the Yankees horrible horrible breakdown in last years playoffs. But this was not the central theme so I am giving myself a pass on this issue. It is issue number two where I have a harder time forgiving myself.
2 I have a rule. It is not Constitutional law rather it is more like English Common Law(it is not written down but still holds equal weight)My rule is as follows. During the season I will not read any book that sings the praises of another major league francise. So for instance. I did not read MoneyBall ( a book praising the A's) until the off season. Even then I had a hard time reading the book. So is a movie whose major theme is the Red Sox the same thing? I admit I enjoyed the story about an obsessed fan but did the film really need to be about the Red Sox. What about the Cubs or those other Sox. I thinkI could have handled a good movie about Chicago a little bit more.
3 This last issue has less to do with the movie but rather whom I saw it with. This movie was with out a doubt a date movie. Yet there I was watching the movie with my father. Need I say more.

No comments: