Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Great Star Wars Debate Part III

Well Star Wars is about 24 hours away at this point and sad to say I don't have tickets to opening day but I will make do. Here is the final blog Debate before I actually see Episode III. (This Debate is more of a jumble of different topics so bear this in mind if it seems more random)

Article I the Lightsaber Duels. Better Choreography vs Better Dialogue.

You can bash Episode I all you want the Lightsaber duel at the end between Obi-Won and Darth Maul was so cool. Like wise when Yoda whipped out his little Lightsaber and when Mano e Mano vs Count Doku I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The technology alone allowed Lucas to not only make cooler looking lightsabers but have better fight scenes with them. But this comes with a drawback. All three original scenes had light saber duels and with the exception of Empire during most of the duels Darth Vader was talking with his opponent exchanging taunts etc. Some of the great lines from the movies come from these scenes.There is virtually no dialogue in the new films. Actually I take that back. There is NO! dialogue in Episode one. I for one like both aspects. But I can get my dialogue else where. Believe it or not folks but the films actually gain a positive point.

Article II. Too Many Scene Changes.
One of my major complaints especially about Episode II is that there are simply to many locations that the characters are going to. This causes many problems but most importantly it causes for poor plot development. The original episodes especially Episode three had really 4 main scenes. Hoth, Space(Asteroid) Daggobah and Bespin. That's it RTOJ had 5. The new episodes don't have an obscene number of extra scenes but it seems that there is so much more movement that there is little time for plot development

Article III: A return to Debate Part II
So in preperation for the movie I decided to watch episode IV again. And I realized a possible serious plot hole. C-3PO was not only built by Darth Vader but he actually lived with Uncle Owen for a good number of years when the mother got married. No 3PO never tells uncle Owen his name in episode IV but your telling me that some prissy golden droid is not going to bring back memories from your mid 20's . I am telling you Uncle Owen must be really off his rocker if he did not notice that.
Well anyway those are my thoughts. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

No comments: